Students participate at many levels of decision making at McDonald Park School. Learners develop decision making skills through student voice and regular class meetings. These skills include the ability to:
- negotiate aspects of the curriculum making learning more purposeful and relevant.
- critically reflect on personal learning in order to take social action as a global citizen.
- actively participate in whole school decision
- making and consultation
STUDENT LEADERSHIP TEAM
Students apply for positions on the student leadership team and are selected through an interview process. Amongst other things the student leaders assist with organising whole school assemblies. They provide leadership for special events and 'meet and greet' visitors to our school.
STUDENT REPRESENTATIVE COUNCIL & LITTLE LEADERS
- These Committees consist of two elected members from each R-7 class. They meet regularly to:
- discuss matters related to the wellbeing of students in our school
- organise fundraising activities and special days
- survey students to identify needs across the school
- regularly meet with the school administration team
HAPPY TO HELP TEAM (H2H)
At the end of each year all Year 6 students are trained as Peer Mediators. They are invited to join the H2H Team. This team meets regularly with the Student Counsellor to discuss, gather information and suggest ways to enhance the well-being of students in the yard. They:
- present 'mini-lessons' to classes about ways to make our school environment safer so that everyone can learn and play and build friendships with confidence
- organise yard games
- work as peer mediators in the yard at recess and lunch times, helping others to sort out their problems.
The Green Team is made up of Year 6/7 students. Their role is to help improve the school environment. They achieve this by:
- managing the recycling of paper at our site
- managing the composting program at our site
- monitoring the littering situation and organising special events to celebrate litter-free days.