Current brain theory has wide implications for our schools. We know the brain and the body need a good diet, water, sleep, exercise, positive relationships and feedback to learn effectively. To consolidate our learning we need time to settle and review. McDonald Park School have implemented a number of classroom strategies and routines to enhance student learning. These include:
- Students are encouraged to bring water to have on their tables.
- Brain breaks are held during the day for children to drink, nibble at healthy food and have exercise.
- Classes have daily physical activity sessions.
- The timetable is structured in one hour blocks to maximize learning time and brain activity.
- Teachers plan specific times during the lesson for children to reflect and share their learning.